The Society was founded in 1887 with its original name the "Society for the benefit of the Tasmanian Blind and Deaf". It later became the Royal Tasmanian Society for the Blind, Deaf and Dumb in 1897.
Acquiring the premises at Argyle Street in 1905, the Society was responsible for the welfare of Blind and Deaf adults and the accommodation of Blind and/or Deaf children attending special schools. There was an emphasis on teaching the Deaf to lip read and mimic spoken English.
The Tasmanian Deaf Society was formed when the Board of the Royal Tasmanian Society for the Blind and Deaf acted on the recommendations of the Arthur Young Review of Services, released in 1986, which recommended that two separate organisations be formed; the Royal Guide Dogs and the Tasmanian Deaf Society.
The Tasmanian Deaf Society was later incorporated on 13th July 1987.